Announcing our NEW Chapbook Contest for 2018.
Open to writers residing in the United States.
Winners will receive $200
plus 20 copies of their published chapbook.
(The Poetry Box® may offer publication to a few finalists, dependent upon the quantity/quality of each year’s submissions.)
We welcome work from both established and emerging writers alike. Every submission starts out in the same pile and is judged merely on its own merit, not the reputation of the writer. We enjoy poems of all styles: formal, free-verse, metered, non-rhyming, experimental, nostalgic, political, erotic, abstract, lyrical, etc. We don’t censor or shy away from ‘tough topics’, however we do draw the line at poetry that discriminates against our fellow humans.
- The Poetry Box Chapbook Prize honors a collection of original poetry in English by a single author; translations are not eligible.
- Contest is open to poets residing in the United States.
- The winning poet will receive a $200 honorarium upon publication plus 20 copies of the book.
- The winning chapbook will be published in November 2018 by The Poetry Box, as a perfect-bound, paperback chapbook (5 x 8 or 5.5 x 8.5 inches in size).
- In addition, the winning book and author will be featured on the The Poetry Box website.
- Entries must be submitted between February 1st – February 28th, 2018. (Midnight, PST)
- All entries should be made via Submittable. (No email or snail mail submissions.)
- Manuscripts should be approximately 20 to 36 pages in length, submitted in one single file.
- Poets may enter more than one manuscript to the contest, but each submission must be a separate entry, each incurring its own fee.
- Accepted file formats: WORD (.doc or docx) or RTF (rich text format).
- Please use a standard readable font such as Times New Roman or Arial in 12pt. Do not embed your poems in graphics or imagery.
- Each poem should start on a new page. Poems should be single spaced with double spacing between stanzas.
- The author’s name must not appear in the manuscript. Do NOT put your name on the entry. Manuscripts will be read anonymously.
- The title page should contain the proposed title of chapbook and a brief synopsis/description of the collection and/or theme of the body of work. Author contact information is to be collected separately via Submittable. (do not include on title page)
- Please include a Contents page listing the poems in order. (page numbers are optional)
- Do not include your name, acknowledgments, author bio, or any other identifying information in the manuscript.
- Individual poems of the manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, journals, or anthologies, but the work as a whole must be unpublished. (If chosen as winner, you will be asked to provide acknowledgments of previously published poems.)
- Simultaneous submissions are permissible, but entrants are asked to notify The Poetry Box via email (email@example.com) immediately if a manuscript becomes accepted/committed elsewhere.
- The entry fee of $15.00 is payable through Submittable (our submission manager system).
- The winner will be announced by May 15, 2018.
Need help with using the Submittable submissions manager? Visit https://submittable.help/submitters
If you have any questions, you can contact the editor, Shawn Aveningo Sanders via Shawn@thePoetryBox.com.
We look forward to reading your work!
DISCLAIMER: Contest is not open to writing associates or colleagues of Shawn Aveningo Sanders or The Poetry Box.