Publishing a poetry book can be a daunting process, especially after so much effort, time and energy has gone into the writing itself. The publishing landscape is shifting rapidly, and it can be a very confusing and often costly endeavor for those who simply dream of seeing their work in print. Therefore, we offer an affordable, cooperative solution which can be equally rewarding to both the author and the publisher. Writers are freed-up to spend time in their craft – creating more art for the world to enjoy – while we lend our experience and expertise to take care of the design and publishing details for you.
Our cooperative publishing model is an ideal solution for writers who haven’t had a book published yet, as well as those who are anxious to get the ball rolling instead of submitting to multiple contests to get that first chapbook published. We are passionate about introducing new poets to the mix, and we want you to be able to share your new book with the world while you’re still passionate about the writing.
However, keep in mind, we are not a “vanity press.” We do not accept every manuscript that is sent to us for publication. The work has be well-written, thoughtful and demonstrate the poet has a solid grasp on their craft, as well as their chosen subject matter. We will not put The Poetry Box® imprint on a book that doesn’t meet our standards.
Cooperative Publishing Chapbook Contract Includes:
- Copyediting & Proofreading the manuscript during various stages of production to ensure accuracy.
- Procurement & Assignment of ISBN Numbers with The Poetry Box imprint as publisher.
- Formatted EAN/ISBN Barcode with retail price embedded.
- Inclusion in Books in Print through Bowker.
- Library of Congress Registration including pre-control number assignment and sending a final published copy of book to Library of Congress on author’s behalf.
- Professional Interior Book Layout & Design following standard publishing guidelines.
- Professional Cover Design.
- Perfect-bound, paperback chapbook, 28-48 pages total and 5 x 8 or 5.5 x 8.5 inches in size.
- Gloss or Matte finish for book cover, dependent on design and what will work best for the book’s aesthetic.
- Choice of white or cream interior pages, dependent on what will work best for the book’s aesthetic.
- Digital Author’s Proofs (PDF) before finalizing print-ready files
- Digital Advance Review Copies (ARCs)
- Five (5) Complimentary Copies for the author, with additional copies available at below wholesale.
- Dedicated Web Page on ThePoetryBox.com online bookstore.
- Worldwide Distribution available through Ingram to 39,000 bookstores and online retailers
- Social Media/Email Newsletters promotion.
- Custom Bookmarks (25 included with option to order more)
- Postcards to promote pre-release sales (25 included with option to order more)
- One-Sheets (10 included with option to order more)
- For our local Portland authors, assistance in setting up and hosting a book launch/reading at a local bookstore or other venue.
- Estimated publication timeline from signing of contract is approximately 6 months.
The cost for publishing a chapbook through our cooperative model, including services outlined above, published as a perfect-bound paperback book, is $595. We require a 50% deposit to start the project, with final payment due at completion/release of the book. There are no hidden fees or required minimum sales. Additional services or products may be requested by the author and will be negotiated accordingly.
- Cover Letter containing:
- Proposed Book Title
- Legal Name of Poet
- Poet Name as it should appear on the cover
- Brief synopsis/description of the collection (approx 100-150 words)
- Contact Information including:
- Email Address
- Shipping Address
- Phone Number
- Social Media links, if applicable (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Author Website, YouTube Channel, etc).
- Why you’re interested in having The Poetry Box publish your work.
- Whether or not this is a simultaneous submission.
- Cover Letter containing:
- List of Poems in order (NOT all caps and no underlines).
- All poems gathered in one document, in order, with each poem beginning on a new page.
- Acknowledgments for any previously published poems.
- Author Bio written in 3rd person, noting any literary awards, publications, and anything you’d like to share with the readers as it related to the topic of your book, etc.
- Accepted file formats: WORD (.doc or docx) or RTF (rich text format). Do not send as PDF.
- Please use a standard readable font such as Times New Roman in 12pt. Do not embed your poems in graphics or imagery.
- Do NOT put your poem titles in ALL CAPS.
- Do NOT underline your titles.
- Start each poem on a new page.
- Individual poems of the manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, journals, or anthologies, but the work as a whole must be unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are permissible; please notify The Poetry Box via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) immediately if a manuscript becomes accepted/committed elsewhere.
- The reading fee of $10.00 is payable through Submittable (our submission manager system).
- We will acknowledge receipt of your manuscript immediately via automatic email.
- We aim to respond with a decision regarding your manuscript within 30 days.
- We prefer manuscript submissions made via Submittable.
Need help with using the Submittable submissions manager? Visit https://submittable.help/submitters
If you have any questions, you can contact the editor, Shawn Aveningo Sanders via Shawn@thePoetryBox.com.
We look forward to reading your work!