Publishing a poetry book can be a daunting process, especially after so much effort, time and energy has gone into the writing itself. The publishing landscape is shifting rapidly, and it can be a very confusing and often costly endeavor for those who simply dream of seeing their work in print. Therefore, we offer an affordable, cooperative solution which can be equally rewarding to both the author and the publisher. Writers are freed-up to spend time in their craft—creating more art for the world to enjoy—while we lend our experience and expertise to take care of the design and publishing details for you.
Our cooperative publishing model is an ideal solution for U.S. based writers (both emerging talents and established writers) who are excited to get their work published rather than awaiting multiple contest results. We enjoy introducing new poets to the mix, and we want you to be able to share your new book with the world while you’re still passionate about the writing.
However, keep in mind, we are not a “vanity press.” We do not accept every manuscript that is sent to us for publication. The work has to be well-written, thoughtful, and demonstrate a solid grasp on the craft. We will not put The Poetry Box® imprint on a book that doesn’t meet our standards.
We enjoy poems of all styles: formal, free-verse, metered, experimental, nostalgic, political, erotic, abstract, lyrical, etc. We don’t censor or shy away from ‘tough topics’, however we do draw the line at poetry that discriminates against our fellow humans. Please keep in mind that a chapbook should have some unifying theme or topic, and yet each poem should be strong enough to stand on its own merit.
(Please note: we are only accepting submissions from U.S. based authors/poets at this time)
Cooperative Publishing Chapbook Contract Includes:
- Copyediting & Proofreading the manuscript during various stages of production to ensure accuracy.
- Procurement & Assignment of ISBN Numbers with The Poetry Box imprint as publisher.
- Formatted EAN/ISBN Barcode with retail price embedded.
- Inclusion in Books in Print through Bowker.
- Professional Interior Book Layout & Design following standard publishing guidelines.
- Professional Cover Design.
- Perfect-bound, paperback chapbook, usually 28-48 pages total (including front/back matter) and 5.5 x 8.5 inches in size.
- Gloss or Matte finish for book cover, dependent on design and what will work best for the book’s aesthetic.
- Digital Author’s Proofs (PDF) before finalizing print-ready files
- Digital Advance Review Copies (ARCs) for author to use for book reviews and/or entering contests.
- Five (5) Complimentary Copies for the author, with additional copies available at below wholesale.
- Dedicated Web Page on ThePoetryBox.com online bookstore.
- Worldwide Distribution available through Ingram to 39,000 bookstores and online retailers
- 40% net royalties, reported and payable in February for prior year sales.
- Social Media/Email Newsletters promotion.
- One-Sheet flyer (digital pdf, ready for printing)
- MiniFlyers with QR codes (digital pdf, ready for printing)
- For our local Portland authors, assistance in setting up and hosting a book launch/reading at a local bookstore or other venue. During the pandemic we are using Zoom to help launch our poets’ books, regardless of locale.
- Estimated publication timeline from signing of contract is approximately 8-10 months. (We do not release books in December or January)
- Cover Letter containing:
- Proposed Book Title
- Legal Name of Poet
- Poet Name as it should appear on the cover
- Brief synopsis/description of the collection (approx 100-150 words)
- Contact Information including:
- Email Address
- Shipping Address (for UPS shipping, not PO Box)
- Phone Number
- Social Media links, if applicable (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Author Website, YouTube Channel, etc).
- Why you’re interested in having The Poetry Box publish your work.
- Whether or not this is a simultaneous submission.
- Complete Manuscript including:
- List of Poems in order (NOT all caps and no underlines). Do not include page numbers in this table of contents.
- All poems in order, with each poem beginning on a new page. (Max. 30 pages of poetry, approximately 32 lines per page) Anything longer will probably be most suited for a book length collection submission.
- Acknowledgments for any previously published poems.
- Dedication or Quote to open the book, if desired.
- Author Bio written in 3rd person, noting any literary awards, publications, and anything you’d like to share with the readers as it related to the topic of your book, etc. (Approx. 150-200 words)
- Cover Letter containing:
- Accepted file formats: WORD (.doc or docx) or RTF (rich text format).
- Please use a standard readable font such as Times New Roman in 12pt. Do not embed your poems in graphics or imagery.
- Start each poem at the TOP of a new page. (The best way to do this is to insert a page break immediately following the last line of your poem.)
- Please keep in mind that our chapbooks are typically printed in 5.5 x 8.5 size, so do consider how your poems are currently formatted and adjust accordingly.
- Individual poems of the manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, journals, or anthologies, but the work as a whole must be unpublished. Poems that are previously published should be included in Acknowledgments section.
- Simultaneous submissions are permissible; please notify The Poetry Box via email (email@example.com) immediately if a manuscript becomes accepted/committed elsewhere.
- The reading fee of $10.00 is payable through Submittable (our submission manager system).
- We will acknowledge receipt of your manuscript immediately via automatic email.
- We aim to respond with a decision regarding your manuscript within 30-60 days.
- We prefer manuscript submissions made via Submittable.
Need help with using the Submittable submissions manager? Visit https://submittable.help/submitters
If you have any questions, you can contact the editor, Shawn Aveningo Sanders via Shawn@thePoetryBox.com.
We look forward to reading your work!