New Issue #12 Available Now
Our new, re-designed issue of The Poeming Pigeon: A Journal of Poetry & Art (Issue #12) is over 180 pages and includes poetry and artwork by 102 poets/artists from around the globe.
Click HERE for more details and to see sample poems and artwork from this gorgeous issue.
Cover Design by Robert R. Sanders, featuring art “Bear and Peacock” by artist Jennifer Lommers of Corvalis, Oregon.
2 Book Launch Celebrations
Saturday on Zoom / Sunday in-person in Portland, OR
(click on images below for details)
In 2022, The Poeming Pigeon received a makeover for a new look and became a full-color annual journal of both poetry and artwork, to be released each Fall. Our open calls for submissions to the journal (some themed and some not) will run from Sept 15 thru Oct 31 each year.
The Poeming Pigeon is a literary journal of poetry (and now art), featuring works from poets all over the globe, including emerging poets alongside award-winning writers, such as Jane Yolen, Paulann Petersen, Annie Lighthart, Connie Post, Andrea Hollander, Jeff Knorr, Tricia Knoll, Amy Miller, Christopher Luna, and more. The first issue was released in 2015 with “Poems about Birds” and continued with 1-2 issues per year on a variety of themes including food, cannabis, music, gardening, love poems, sports, headline news, the cosmos, pop culture, and the pandemic/protest issue. We believe poetry has the power to engage, entertain, and enlighten.
We invite all voices, and especially those that have been historically marginalized or under-heard to submit and partner with us. We welcome work from both established and emerging writers alike. Every submission starts out in the same pile and is judged merely on its own merit, not the reputation of the writer. We enjoy poems of all styles: formal, free-verse, metered, non-rhyming, experimental, nostalgic, political, erotic, abstract, lyrical, etc. We don’t censor or shy away from ‘tough topics’, however we do draw the line at poetry that discriminates against our fellow humans.
As always, we pledge to our readers to publish a journal teeming with poems to stir your senses, reveal new truths, make you laugh, cry and perhaps tilt your head in that curious puppy dog way. And to the accepted poets who share and entrust us with their words, we promise to represent your work in the highest aesthetic possible, in a book you will be proud to share.
We are very happy to announce that Annie Bloom’s Books—a charming brick-n-mortar bookshop in Multnomah Village (7834 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland,Oregon) is now carrying back issues of The Poeming Pigeon. So if you’re in the area, please stop by, and tell them The Poetry Box sent you.
Submission Calls & Updates
Optional Theme for Issue #13: Superstition
We welcome poetry and art on any variety of topics. As they say, variety is the spice of life.
However, for our 13th Issue, we thought it might be fun to have a section of poems and art that relate to that typically “unlucky” number or any other superstitions. So grab your muse, take her up to the 13th floor, walk under a ladder on your way to pet a black cat in your path, and open up that umbrella and see what fun poems or ideas rain down.
Again, the superstition theme is OPTIONAL. Poets and artists are not restricted to submitted only on the theme.
Submissions Will Be Open: Sept 15 – Oct 31, 2022
Scheduled for Release in Fall 2023
For All Submissions
- Simultaneous submissions are okay. (Please let us know if you need to withdraw a piece if accepted elsewhere first.)
- Individuals can submit for both categories (poetry and art) as separate submissions.
- We promise to read every submission and respond via submittable messaging/email. If you haven’t heard from us by March 1st, feel free to drop us a line to inquire the status of your submission.
- All contributors (poets & artists) will receive a coupon code for one free copy of the book and the chance to pre-order additional copies of the journal at a discount before we go to print.
- All poets will be considered for nomination to the Pushcart Prize.
- Acceptance grants The Poetry Box® (publisher of The Poeming Pigeon) global serial, electronic and archival publishing rights. Copyright always remains with the author/artist. If a poem published first in The Poeming Pigeon is later published elsewhere, we respectfully ask that you credit us as the original publisher.
- Fee to submit is $4 (for grouping of 1-4 poems OR up to 4 pieces of artwork). Every submitter will receive a 25% coupon to use in our bookstore on any title.
- One poetry submission (maximum 4 poems) per author.
- Please put all poems in a one single file attachment.
- All submissions must be typed…not handwritten. Single-spaced (double-space between stanzas).
- All poems should have a title.
- If submitting more than one poem, please start each poem at top of new page.
- Include your name (as it should appear in your byline) and email address at the bottom of each page, with page numbers. (We’re not selecting work based on “who”; this is just to help us stay organized.)
- Work must be original; no previously published work. (Note: We do not consider self-publishing to blogs, message boards, or social media, etc., as publication with respect to this rule.)
- Please present your poems in the format you’d like them to appear. If some of the lines are wider than our margins, we will consult you regarding any necessary line breaks or indentations needed for formatting. Our page size is 7.5 x 9.25 inches with approximately 1 inch margins.
- Please use a standard readable font in 12pt. Do not embed your poems in graphics or imagery.
- On the submittable form, include your BIO (50 words or less) written in THIRD PERSON, in the field provided on Submittable. Please limit your publishing credits to no more than three. Include notable accomplishments and something fun & personal to keep it engaging for our readers.
- We only accept submissions via SUBMITTABLE. Click on the button below to submit your poems:
- One artwork submission (maximum 4 pieces) per artist.
- File types accepted: jpeg, png, tiff
- Please use filenames that start with your last name and include the title of the work. (ie. DaVinci_MonaLisa)
- The journal will be printed in color, therefore both color and b&w images are accepted.
- Size & Resolution: Images should be a minimum of 7 inches wide or 2100px across.
- Artwork will be considered for the interior and possibly for the cover.
- Please list the title of each artwork and medium in the DESCRIPTION box on Submittable.
- Please include your your artist bio (50 words or less) where indicated on the Submittable form.
- We only accept submissions via SUBMITTABLE. Click on the button below to submit your artwork:
If you have any questions, you can contact the editor, Shawn Aveningo Sanders via Shawn@thePoetryBox.com.
We look forward to reading your work!
Current & Past Issues
A great way to get a feel for the type of poetry we publish in The Poeming Pigeon is to order one of our past issues.