Submissions Open: July 1 – Aug 31
The Poetry Box SELECT imprint is a Traditional Publishing opportunity for well-established poets (those who have been published widely in curated literary journals and anthologies). Submissions for our Select program are open each summer, July 1 – Aug 31. The Poetry Box aims to choose 2-3 full-length poetry manuscripts and offer those poets a traditional, royalty-earning publishing contract to have their book designed and published the following year. Poets who have been published under The Poetry Box Select imprint, established in 2018, include: Cynthia Gallaher, Karla Linn Merrifield, Carolyn Martin, Christopher Luna, Kristin Berger, Joan Colby, Dianalee Velie, Rebecca Smolen, Laura LeHew, Jeanne Julian, Michael Waterson, Ahrend Torrey, Sherry Rind, and Michael Estabrook.
We enjoy poems of all styles: formal, free-verse, metered, experimental, nostalgic, political, erasure, abstract, lyrical, etc. We don’t censor or shy away from ‘tough topics’, however we do draw the line at poetry that discriminates against our fellow humans. Please keep in mind that the poetry manuscript should have some unifying theme or topic, and yet each poem should be strong enough to stand on its own merit.
Features Included in The Poetry Box Select Contract
- Copyediting & Proofreading the manuscript during various stages of production to ensure accuracy.
- Procurement & Assignment of ISBN Numbers with The Poetry Box Select imprint as publisher.
- Formatted EAN/ISBN Barcode with retail price embedded.
- Inclusion in Books in Print through Bowker.
- Library of Congress Registration including pre-control number assignment and sending a final published copy of book to Library of Congress on author’s behalf.
- Professional Interior Book Layout & Design following standard publishing guidelines.
- Professional Cover Design.
- Gloss or Matte finish for book cover, dependent on design and what will work best for the book’s aesthetic.
- Most of our titles are 6 x 9 (inches) perfect bound, standard trade paperback book. (We also offer other standard sizes and can discuss options if applicable to your manuscript.)
- Digital Author’s Proofs (PDF) before finalizing print-ready files.
- Five (5) Complimentary Copies for the author, with opportunity to buy additional copies at discount.
- Dedicated Web Page on ThePoetryBox.com online bookstore.
- Worldwide Distribution available through Ingram to 39,000 bookstores and online retailers
- Social Media/Email Newsletters promotion.
- Promotion of book launch/readings on our website and in newsletters.
- Cover Letter containing:
- Proposed Book Title
- Legal Name of Poet
- Name as it should appear on the cover (Nom de Plume if using one)
- Brief synopsis/description of the collection (approx 100-150 words)
- Contact Information including:
- Email Address
- Shipping Address
- Phone Number
- Social Media links, if applicable (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Author Website, YouTube Channel, etc).
- Why you’re interested in having The Poetry Box publish your work.
- Whether or not this is a simultaneous submission.
- Cover Letter containing:
- List of Poems in order (NOT all caps and no underlines).
- All poems gathered in one document, in order, with each poem beginning on a new page. This number may vary, especially for those who write longer poems. Our aim is to have the final book (including all front & back matter) to be 80-130 pages.
- Acknowledgments for previously published poems.
- Author Bio written in 3rd person, noting any literary awards, publications, and anything you’d like to share with the readers as it related to the topic of your book, etc. (approx 150-200 words)
- The author’s detailed plan for marketing the book, such as doing readings, approaching local bookstores, promoting pre-sales to their existing fans, etc. Authors will be required to meet a minimum number of pre-orders for the book to be released.
- Accepted file formats: WORD (.doc or docx) or RTF (rich text format).
- Please use a standard readable font such as Times New Roman in 12pt. Do not embed your poems in graphics or imagery.
- Do NOT put your poem titles in ALL CAPS.
- Start each poem on a new page.
- Individual poems of the manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, journals, or anthologies, but the work as a whole must be unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are permissible; please notify us immediately if a manuscript becomes accepted/committed elsewhere.
- The reading fee of $15.00 is payable through Submittable (our submission manager system).
- We only accept manuscript submissions made via Submittable. Please click on the button below to go to our Submittable Page.
Need help with using the Submittable submissions manager? Visit https://submittable.help/submitters
If you have any questions, you can contact the editor, Shawn Aveningo Sanders via Shawn@thePoetryBox.com.
We look forward to reading your work!